Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Day 8

I've got to draw the line somewhere. And that line is plain (non-flavored) yogurt. Why would anyone in their right mind eat this? I really can't think of any reason. O.k., maybe in a situation where you were trapped somewhere and it was the only thing around to eat and your life depended on it. But that's it. It's certainly not for enjoyment. I just threw away a bowl of perfectly good strawberries and blueberries tainted with the stuff. So consider yourselves warned. And, despite my last post about trying new things, I urge you all to avoid it at all costs. You will thank me, I promise you that.

Now on to something that tastes good. I made the following recipe Sunday night and it was so good. My husband even liked it. It was a little spicy, but it could be because I used a tablespoon too much of chipotle because that's what I chopped, so just be wary of that if spice ain't your thing.

Mexican Rice and Beans

Ingredients
3 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tsp Ground Cumin
1 tsp Ground Coriander Seed
1 tsp Cinnamon, ground
1 T Chili Powder
1 cup onion, chopped (one medium)
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 cups brown rice, cooked
4 cups Pinto beans (I used 2 can of organic beans, but could cook your own if you are so inclined)
2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
3 T of chipotles with sauce (chopped)
2 T Tomato Paste
1 tsp Sea Salt


Directions
Heat oil. Add cumin, coriander, cinnamon, chili powder and heat until fragrant. Add onion and cook until tender, add garlic and cook for a minute longer. Add cooked rice and rinsed beans, chicken stock, chipotles, tomato paste and salt. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Serve hot.

You could also add chicken to this and it would be delish. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment